This mini African market basket was handwoven by artisans in the Bolgatanga region of Ghana. Each mini market basket is beautiful and unique, designed with a sturdy leather handle and a thick base, perfect for use as a farmers market basket or for your "mini me" who wants to be just like mom and dad. A great fair trade gift that gives back to the artisans who created it.
Proceeds from the sale of these mini market baskets help to:
- Designs and colors will vary between each market basket
- Very easy to shape: Just wet them and shape to your liking
Country of Origin:
- Provide health care for the weavers and their families
- Provide school supplies for the children of the weavers
- Build community weaving centers for several villages of weavers
6" - 8" diameter
About the Artists:
Bolgatanga is the largest town in the Upper East region of Ghana, 20 miles from the border with Burkina Faso and right near the southern edge of the Sahara Desert. Although the soil is fertile, the sun blazes all through the dry season, making agriculture very difficult. These market baskets provide much needed funds for thousands of families in the region and today a large percentage of the villagers weave these baskets as their main income. By purchasing a bolga basket here you are greatly helping the weavers in Africa.